Thursday 8 December 2016

Advent Calendar day 8

Today I'd like to share a poem by Maggie Harris, from her  collection Sixty Years of Loving, (Winner of the Guyana Prize for Literature 2014).


My Daughter, Age Sixteen
(for Angie)
My daughter, age sixteen, bought me a tree
and walked from Ramsgate to Broadstairs
her Pre-Raphaelite face between its branches
bearing me a birthday.
And I wondered at her beauty, brave
to wear a coronet of leaves
through urban streets where anyone from school
might have seen her. And I remembered
that Christingel, when the candles nearly
burnt her hair and the way she entered
pre-school at the age of four, no tears, no looking back.
To open your front door and see
your daughter’s lovely face shining
through a sea of green, and all their limbs
still growing, was better than any birthday cake.
What a moment we shared, planting it.


No comments:

Post a Comment