Thursday 22 December 2016

Advent Calendar day 22

It's only 3 days to go and Victoria Field's poem 'The Things They Said' is full of Christmas twinkle.

The Things They Said
The first star said
I’m a spark adrift
in the sea of night

The second
I burn with an icy light

The third star said
I’m an arrow pointing the way –
follow me, follow me into the day

The gold declaimed
I’m worth less
than the flowers in the field

The frankincense whispered
wash me away with the hair of a girl
when I’m gone I’m revealed

The myrrh asked
I’m beloved and bitter – it’s a birth
but has somebody died?

Said the gifts
you must give us
in our going, we’ll arrive

The old king cried
I need armies, chief priests and power
my hunger is hate and my anger is fear

The new king replied
nothing –
he’s asleep in the manger that’s also a bier

The love said
I’ll hurt you, one day I’ll go
that moment’s forever with each rising sun

Say the people, you’re crazy
Say the wise men, we know -
but that night for a moment
stars and earth become one.


Broadcast on Radio 4, Sunday Worship from Truro Cathedral, January 2007 and previously published in Poetry Cornwall



1 comment: