Friday 6 January 2017

Journal Musings

I'm actually cheating a little here, this is old writing - my upcoming journal writing course reminded me of a post I made on another blog a few years ago, and it seemed appropriate to share. My feelings about journals are pretty much the same now as then. So here it is:

I need a new journal – possibly easy to remedy, pop to the shops, grab a notebook of some description. But it’s not that simple.

I go through phases of journalling. I might write pages every day for a few months and then nothing for ages. Most of the time it's angsty outpourings that I wouldn’t want anyone else to read. Sometimes what I say doesn’t matter, the words are just shapes on paper, it’s the physical act of scribbling to the page that’s necessary, so I need something in which I can enjoy the physical act of writing.

Which is probably why the journal itself is important to me: what it looks like how it feels, the colour/texture of the paper. Ideally it has to look gorgeous – I’ve written in suede-bound books that are just wonderfully tactile to handle, ones with beaded covers, and lookswise, you can’t beat some of the paperblanks journals.


But also the paper inside is important: ideally unlined, lines seem to constrict emotional outpourings, if it’s unlined I can scribble as huge and angry as I like. And the texture of the paper has to be supersmooth as I like writing in turquoise ink. (On a side note, Oxford A4 notebooks have fantastically smooth paper). (On another side note, paperblanks don’t score so highly here, as their paper is slightly textured).

If the paper is rough, I can swap to writing with fibre-tips, but it’s not the same. I just love the way the nib of my parker pen seems to float ink over the page.

And size is important too – yes it really is! ;) When I’m writing I prefer A4, but for journalling, A5 is more comfortable. An A4 pages is big and blank, it’s hard to tell a secret to, A5 is cosy and inviting. Even the briefest of thoughts fills a chunk of space.

So I’m keeping my eye out for the perfect journal, I just hope I find one before I fill up these last few pages.

3 comments:

  1. I agree the journal itself is so important. I always have a spare waiting when I start a new one. If I didn't I would feel very unsettled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also sometimes find that if I get given a new one that I really like, I can't wait to start it and leave the old one half empty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I am the opposite. My journals tend to be messy and bedraggled from carrying them around with me. This is the perfect journal for me. Coffee stained, wind blown and full of sand!

    ReplyDelete