Tuesday 9 August 2016

A Tale of Two Labyrinths: Part 2


After our time at the UKC labyrinth we began the descent into town and out the other side to the CCCU labyrinth.

The Eliot path from the Uni led into a maze of alleys and pathways through town. I’ve lived relatively locally all my life and didn’t even know these green paths existed. Canterbury has well-hidden treasures. Half way, at the Beaney, we stopped for much needed refreshments, then continued our journey. Throughout the day I was reminded how much I really like walking when I have good company, and the people around me were all so interesting to talk and listen to.

We reached the CCCU labyrinth where I realised that labyrinths have their own personality, and can elicit different responses. This one was a classical labyrinth mown into the grass, and had a playful feel about it. Without even thinking about it, I took my shoes off so I could walk it barefoot, and noticed other people were doing the same.

Whereas the first labyrinth walk had been quiet and thoughtful, here people were running, dancing, talking and laughing their way around. The grass tickled my toes as I walked and I found I had a huge smile on my face. We ate our picnic lunch and chatted some more, about labyrinths, Canterbury, writing, life, the universe, and everything really.

Then began my third walk of the day.

I thought where my car was parked would be just round the corner, but googlemaps told me I was twenty minutes away. I planned a route and three of us began the trek.

At one point, we thought maps had lied, that this road was a dead end, and while we were deciding what to do we discovered the ‘St Augustine’s Conduit House’ –  a kind of 13th century mini-reservoir for St Augustine’s Abbey. It collected rainwater for the monks. This conduit was used right up until the 19th Century, although after the abbey was dissolved, it supplied a local brewery. Another hidden gem of Canterbury!

Maps hadn’t lied, it wasn’t a dead end – we followed an alley, climbed a metal stile (so wrong, stiles should be wooden!) then reached my car, and headed home for much needed tea. Physically exhausted, but mentally recharged. Thanks everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment